Thursday, February 14, 2013

Oven Canning Dry Goods

Sorry all, I know I haven't posted much lately, but I promise you will love this one!!!

After thinking about trying to buy a vacuum sealer and realizing that they are pretty spendy to say the least. That got me to thinking, how else can I store some dry goods. I could, put things like rice, beans and flour into number 10 cans. Then I thought, well, that wont work because I don't know anyone that has a caner like that. So, that option is out. I have also heard about using freezer bags, and storing it in the freezer. Ok, that might be an option I thought, but then, what happens while moving things around in the freezer and you tear a bag? you will have a mess, not only that but if you have an odor of some sort in there it will probably take that on too.

Well..... now what....

Then I had the bright idea, hmmmm, how about heat canning some how in glass canning jars? So, I did a little experimenting. After a couple of unsuccessful efforts, I tried one last time. How did I finally figure it out you ask, well sit down and listen (read close) It should be noted that since I have done this, I started with flour and have moved on to also include, dry beans, rice, corn meal and oat meal all uncooked of course.

1. The first thing you HAVE to do is to make sure that your jars, quarts or pints are clean and MUST be dry, that is very important as I found out.

2. Fill your jars to with in about a half inch of the top, giving it a little shake to get it all settled. Do NOT put lids or rings on yet.!!

3. Place a cookie sheet into the oven, set your filled jars onto the baking sheet. Turn the oven on to 200 Deg. Shut the door (obviously) and set your timer for 60 minutes or 1 hour which ever is greater. (ha ha a bit of humor there)

4. Lay out a towel onto the counter or the table so the hot glass does not come in contact with the table surface. One by one take the jars out of the oven and screw down the lids till they are pretty tight. As they cool, you will here them start to seal just as if you were water bath canning or the such. There you have it.

I should note here, that the ONLY issue I have had doing this, is that the flour will cake a bit inside of the jar, What I have done is take a knife and push it close to the bottom to loosen the flour up a bit. Once you have it loose, just pour it into a gallon zip-lock bag and finish getting the "clumps" out of it. Then just pour it into your canister or whatever you store flour in. As far as the other things that I have tried, the ONLY other issue I have had, is that the oat meal does take on a bit of a "roasted" taste which, honestly I like.


Disclaimer, In being totally honest here, AFTER I went through all of the trial, and mess-ups I did a bit of research on this very thing, and it turns out that people have been doing this for a long time. Hmmm, who'da knew..... In doing my research, I found that by using this method, these things can be kept reasonable for about 15 years.

Well, there you have it my way of oven canning. If you think you have a better way, please feel free to comment.

Thanks and have a great day!!





1 comment:

  1. When did you put the lids on the jars? That part was not stated.

    ReplyDelete